Hamilton summers can feel unbearably hot, and trying to cool your home for three to four months all day each year can become costly. It’s understandable that many Hamilton households may look for more inexpensive alternatives to central or ductless air conditioning. If your home doesn’t currently have existing ductwork, or you’re looking for supplemental cooling, it can be very tempting to purchase a cheap window air conditioner as opposed to installing a ductless system. However, ductless and window air conditioners are not created equal, and one is clearly a better choice than the other.
Window Air Conditioners
Window air conditioners have been used to cool Hamilton homes for years, especially older Hamilton homes without ductwork. However, are they used because they’re the best option or because they have the lowest upfront cost? Here are some pros and cons to using a window air conditioner.
- Cheap (or cheaper) upfront cost
- Doesn’t require expert installation
- Easy to acquire and install
- Can be used in any home
- Very loud
- Frequent disrepair and breakdowns
- Becomes less effective in very hot weather
- Poor moisture or humidity control
- Can become a hazard when installing
- Not energy-efficient
- Must be removed and reinstalled every year plus stored somewhere during fall and winter
- Unpleasant smells and leaking is common
- A short lifespan
Ductless Air Conditioners
Ductless air conditioners are a more modern technology, although they are becoming increasingly more popular in Hamilton homes due to their minimally invasive installation, reliability, and energy efficiency. Here’s what you need to know about ductless air conditioners.
- Energy efficient
- Powerful regardless of the outside heat
- Helps with humidity and moisture control
- Reliable (very little maintenance required)
- A long lifespan
- Can be installed in any home
- Higher upfront cost
- Requires professional installation and maintenance
The Best Choice For Your Home
It’s completely understandable that it might be tempting to throw caution to the wind and buy a window air conditioner or two because it’s cheaper. However, between window and ductless air conditioners, the better, more reliable, more efficient, and more effective option is clearly ductless. If you are still hesitant due to the initial cost of the unit, make sure to speak to one of HAMCO’s friendly representatives about potential sales, rebates, and grants, as well as financing options to help you stay cool and comfortable this summer without breaking the bank.
If you’re interested in installing ductless AC in your Hamilton home,
contact the HVAC experts at HAMCO for a free estimate!
Residents in the Greater Hamilton Area have trusted the specialists at HAMCO Heating & Cooling Ltd. with all of their HVAC needs since 1946.