CANADA GREENER HOMES GRANT
During the hottest days of summer, and coldest days of winter, our energy consumption is often quite high and can be damaging to the environment and our pocketbooks. However, making the initial change to a more energy-efficient home can be daunting and expensive, and that alone can discourage someone from taking those steps. The Canada Greener Homes Grant is an initiative funded by the Canadian Government to lessen the stress and financial strain of going green; with 700,000 grants of up to $5,000 each being given to homeowners all over the country to make their homes greener.
If you’re looking for more information on this grant, HAMCO has got you covered.
Who is Eligible for The Canada Greener Homes Grant?
You may have more eligibility than you think! With the Canada Greener Homes Grant, many homeowners are eligible! You must fall within these qualifications:
- You must be a homeowner in Canada (regardless of the location)
- You must be able to provide proof that your property is your primary residence
- You must be the only member of your household applying for the grant
What Properties are Eligible for The Canada Greener Homes Grant?
There are several different property types that are eligible for the Canadian Greener Homes Grant. If you live in one of these homes, you may be eligible!
- A single or semi-detached home
- A rowhouse
- A townhouse
- An all-seasons cottage
- A mobile home on a permanent foundation
- A permanently moored floating home
- A small multi-unit residential building (residential only)
- A mixed-use building (residential only)
What Retrofits are Eligible for The Canada Greener Homes Grant?
The retrofits and financing available for the Canada Greener Homes Grant are as follows:
- Up to $5,000 for Home insulation
- Up to $1,000 for Air-sealing
- Up to $5,000 for Window and door ENERGY STAR replacements
- Up to $50 for Smart thermostat installation
- Up to $5,000 for Energy-efficient heating installation
- Up to $5,000 for Switching your home system to a renewable energy source like solar panels
- Up to $2,625 for Resiliency measures to protect your home from environmental damages (must be combined with another retrofit)
Once Approved, What do I Have to Do to Continue Being Eligible For The Canada Greener Homes Grant?
In order to continue to qualify for the Canada Greener Homes Grant you must complete the following guidelines:
- Fill out a pre and post EnerGuide evaluation
- Complete at least one (1) retrofit for your home that has been recommended by your energy guide; failure to do so will result in the forfeiture of your reimbursement
- Provide and keep all of your documents of this project until March 31, 2028
- Purchase all products used for this initiative from Canadian Businesses and websites
- Be the only person from your household who is participating in the grant
- Demonstrate with proper documentation that the property is your primary place of residence
When am I Eligible for Reimbursement?
Once your project is completed and your home is more energy-efficient, you are eligible for reimbursement:
- Up to $5,000 for the implementation of eligible retrofits done after December 1, 2020
- Up to $600 for your pre and post EnerGuide evaluations (participants are only eligible if they continue the EnerGuide evaluation through the whole Greener Homes Grant Process)
Interested in saving up to 26% on heating and cooling costs? Then it’s time to upgrade your thermostat. The Ecobee Smart Thermostat Premium is the thermostat of the future. Boasting all kinds of handy features, the Ecobee contributes to enhanced air quality, home...
Though they may not be as common as they once were, boiler heating systems are still an effective home heating solution. In fact, there are many benefits of a boiler heating system. However, if your boiler is old, it won’t provide the same benefits or run as...
Stressed about soaring energy costs this season? Every time that heating bill comes in, it brings a little anxiety. We all feel it. Heating season is also the holiday season and that means even more spending. HAMCO wants to help you keep your utility bills under...